Tautog Baked in Herbed Butter
- 1 pound fresh Tautog or blackfish fillet
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped or 1 1/2 teaspoon dried
- dash cayenne pepper to taste
- paprika to taste
- 1/4 cup salt, plus more to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
Place fish in salt water brine (4 cups of water mixed with 1/4 cup of salt) and let it soak for 30 minutes. Wash well, then rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a small saucepan melt butter or margarine and stir in lemon juice, parsley, chives, dill, and cayenne, and salt lightly to taste.
Cut fillets into serving size pieces and place it in a lightly oiled baking dish. Pour butter and herb mixture over fillets. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered for about 8 to 10 minutes or until fish begins to flake.
Transfer fish to a warm serving platter. Boil pan juices until reduced to about 1/4 cup and pour over warm fish. Serve immediately.